ABBOTT BinaxNOW® Malaria
The BinaxNOW® Malaria test is an in vitro immunochromatographic assay for the qualitative detection of Plasmodium antigens circulating in human venous and capillary EDTA whole blood of individuals with signs and symptoms of malarial infection. The test targets the histidine-rich protein II (HRPII) antigen specific to Plasmodium falciparum (P.f.) and a pan-malarial antigen common to all four malaria species capable of infecting humans – P. falciparum, P. vivax (P.v.), P. ovale (P.o.), and P. malariae (P.m.).
It is intended to aid in the rapid diagnosis of human malaria infections and in the differential diagnosis of Plasmodium falciparum (P.f.) infections from other less virulent malarial infections. Negative results must be confirmed by thin / thick smear microscopy.
- Results seen in 15 minutes
- Enables immediate treatment
Easy to use
- Simple test using only 1 reagent
- Requires a small blood sample easily collected by fingerstick
- No need for skilled microscopist
Easy to interpret
- Differentiated results allow diagnosis of potentially lethal P. falciparum infection
- Objective, qualitative results
- Easy to read, qualitative results